Formula : verb to have (had) + been + present participle
Ex: had been waiting
had been watching
- An action which has been happening for a period of time in the past and still continues happening at that time
a) -I had been eating pizza for two months.
b) -The couple had been living in that city since their first child born.
Keywords : -since
Put the verbs into the correct form (past perfect progressive).
- We(sleep) had been sleeping for 12 hours when he woke us up.
- They(wait) ________________ at the station for 90 minutes when the train finally arrived.
- We(look for) _______________ her ring for two hours and then we found it in the bathroom.
- I(not / walk) _______________ for a long time, when it suddenly began to rain.
- How long(learn / she) _______________ English before she went to London?
- Frank Sinatra caught the flu because he(sing) _______________ in the rain too long.